C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:21:26 -0700
For kids with some finger skills (probably at least a 18-month-old level of finger skills needed) and a mental age range of around 6 to 9 -- NOT for kids who are still putting everything in their mouths --Playmobil has a nice hospital set which includes a child using a wheelchair due to a leg in a cast. This can make a nice 'play therapy' gift for a child who has recently had or is scheduled to have leg surgery. My son is terrified of dentists (when I asked him if he wanted to be 'something spooky' for Halloween, he indicated that he wanted to go as a dentist), so I intend to get him the Playmobil dentist office set. Reading books about characters who visit dentists is calming for him, so hopefully acting out with the Playmobil sets will be even more so. [We're getting him a pirate set, too, so that his gifts don't always revolve around some kind of therapy. ;) ]   The coolest thing for me is that when we play these type of 'scenario toys' together I can get a better idea of issues/questions in Daniel's mind (he has pretty limited speech at this time). Then we can talk about stuff I might not even think about otherwise. www.playmobil.com has all the different sets available. I then comparison search to see which place has that set most cheaply.
You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now.