C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 12:50:12 -0500
Hi everybody ,

I went to Camp Courageous of Iowa in Monticello, Iowa , from August
thirteenth to the eighteenth.  I went last summer and I really enjoyed
myself there , so , I decided to go again this summer.  I saw some of the
old staff from last year.  To my amazement , one of my last year's counselor
was one of my counselors again , this year!  My parents dropped me off and
picked me off there.  The food was not the greatest , but , I , survived.  I
didn't sleep well either there.  I think my bed was too small.  Some of the
activities , that I participated in , this year , while I was there , were:
help feed and water the animals , Arts and Crafts (I made a costume for the
dance.  I was a space person because the theme of week was out of this
world.  I asked the camp staff to see if they could find me a big box like a
refrigerator box in which they found one.  I covered the box with something
like aluminum foil.  I wanted to take a picture of my costume on my camera ,
but , unfortunately , I didn't.   The camp director said to me if we had a
contest for the best costume , I would had won.  I came up with my costume
idea , all by myself) , Burma Bridge , (this is like walking on the high
rope , like people do in a circus.  I was afraid to do this at first.),
canoeing, hikes, ice cream making , (We made chocolate ice cream, but I
would have preferred vanilla), cookouts, campout, superzip, (this was like
the Burma Bridge, swimming , trampoline, treeclimb, and playing cards and
games.  We had a hypnotist.

For those who are new or don't remember who I am :

I was born on July 5, 1971.  It was a complicated birth. . .  I couldn't cry
, breathe or suck.  The doctors thought I would be a vegetable the rest of
my life.  As a result of all of this , I was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy
at the age of three a half .  I am very physically disabled because of all
of this.  I can't walk , talk , or feed myself in the 'normal way."  When I
was four years old , I was the Cerebral Palsy Poster child.  I went to Day C
are for that had disabilities and Early Childhood.  Then I went through all
of school.  When I was in fourth grade , I was put in to a special education
class in school. I used to to drool a lot and I had a surgery to stop that.
When I was a freshman in high school , I had what looked like seizures but
actually it was suicidal attempts. I won the award for the outstanding
handicapped citizen for the state of Wisconsin.  I went to college and
double majored in Data Entry and Accounting.   I update telephone
directories for a living.  I do about twenty to thirty a year.  I do it
right from my home.   I also make and sell my own greeting cards.  As I
mentioned before , I have had a lot of problems with depression and suicide.
From 1992 to 1998 I was in counseling and from 1994-96, I was hospitalized
seven times because of this.  The reason of all of this is because I couldn'
t cope with having a disability.  My family consists of a father , a mother
and three brothers.   I also have seven nieces and nephews and one on the
way .  I collect angels.  I'm really involved on the Internet.  I'm on
several of   ListServs, ICQ, AOL Instant Messenger , Ya-Hoo Instant
Messenger , and mIRC.  My ICQ UIN # is 16632777.  My screen name for AOL
Instant Messenger is KJPink.  I can be reached by Ya-Hoo Instant Messenger
at kathy_pink_2000.  The servers that I'm usually on on mIRC is  BrightNet
or ChatWorks.  I have a Home WebPage .  It is at
http://homepages.msn.com/WindowsWay/kjpink/.

Kathy Jo Pink/Perky/Pinky
AOL Instant Messenger ScreenName KJPink
ICQ UIN # 16632777