C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:09:27 -0400
LOL - hey, guys, he's an engineer...all engineers I've known and worked with aren't the most patient types - very very focused and arguementive.  Guess it comes from working with numbers all day long.

But seriously, I do think he made one valid point - we should be interacting with as many types of people as possible.  My parents encouraged that, and I think I'm the better for it.

               Kathy S.

"St. John's University Cerebral Palsy List" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> After perusing this for the better part of a year, I must unsubscribe.  =
To those
of you who don't know me, I'm 29, have a mild case of CP and I work as a =

bridge engineer. =20

I do participate occasionally on alt.support.cerebral-palsey.  The =
people over
there actually ask some pertinent questions every now and then.  Most =
(but not
all) of what I see here is like most of what I see on the internet - =
garbage.

So - having said that, let me leave you with what I feel is important, =
and please
read this...  I do think it is important.

To parents:  Most of what I've seen is parents that are terrified of =
what the future
holds for their kids.  In reality, it isn't that big of a deal.  Just =
take care of your
children and support them.  I think you'll be surprised at how well they =
adapt.

What I do think you can do are these three very important things:

1.  Teach your kids that life is not fair.
2.  Teach your kids to worry about what they can control, not what they =
can't control
3.  Teach your kids good social skills.  Make them interact with other =
children of=20
     all walks of life.

To Children:  This will all come to pass.  Focus on what I said in point =
number 2.
You'll understand when you get older.