C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 18:46:39 -0400
Thank you for saying this, Mag.  As assistive technology evolves, I'm sure
disability will need to be redefined.  For example, 40 years ago those of us
who had cataracts would have become legally blind; now cataract surgery has
become so commonplace, that cataracts are no longer a major cause of
blindness.  And those of us who are profoundly deaf become hearing again
with cochlear implants.   Are we still deaf/hard of hearing?

It's an interesting new concept and I'd bet that there will be many
struggles and adjustments in social welfare policies in the future regarding
this sort of thing.

Kat