C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 06:35:01 EDT
In a message dated 4/7/2002 1:10:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The only mental defence to this is humour. You split the world into
> the few who know and understand you and the majority who don't, so it
> doesn't matter what they think of you and you can internally laugh at
> their ignorance. Why this instance has hurt is because she is an old
> friend so you would assume she would be in the first group, she isn't
> - put her in the second.
>
> I love her.  She's in the second, a lot of people are.

> I didn't have to look far for the humour in that!! While in the
> middle of situations like that - its no good expressing outrage or
> anger, people just assume you're a bitter twisted crip, rather than
> think you've got every right to be pissed off.

    Bitter twisted crip.  Yes, some people seem completely unable to see
beyond that stereotype.  No matter what you say, no matter how carefully you
say it, they will not hear.  This is where your humor (humour -- sorry),
Mag's dancing, and Sidney Freedman's "slide on the ice" methods are
imperative to survival.