C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:14:52 -0600
Kat,

You're pretty much on target.  SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is what most people who have been disabled from birth (who apply, and are approved) get.  SSI amounts are usually much lower than SSDI amounts - the last figure I knew of was in the $500 - $600/month range

SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) is what people who become disabled after working and contributing to Social Security for a given number of quarters get.  The amount a person who receives SSDI receives is dependent on the amount that they've contributed to social security, and the length of time that they've been contributing, as well as Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA's).

Neither SSI or SSDI are automatic; a person or their family has to apply, and prove they have a disability.  In Wyoming, around 85% of first time SSI/SSDI applications are rejected.  In many cases with SSDI, an applicants medical records are reviewed by the Disability Determination unit of Social Security, and these records are sent to an independent examiner (paid by Social Security) who reviews the records.  In most cases, the examiner then performs an exam of the applicant, to determine whether the physical findings and the records agree.

If a person is approved for either SSI or SSDI, there is a waiting period to become eligible for Medicare benefits (in SSDI cases, the waiting period is two years, and I think it's a similar time frame for SSI).

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities - WIND
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 4298
Laramie, WY  82070