C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 13:42:13 -0500
Deborah wrote:
>>>You're not over reacting one bit.  If it had been me there with my son I
would of had a few choice words for that lady.  Not only would I have
complained to the head manager I would have gave a compliant to the
authorities.  some people just don't have class.<<<

If it had been you and your son there  it probably wouldn't have been an
issue. There is often a discriminatory attitude towards males helping
females. ie there must be something improper going  on.

As a SAHD my husband has been on the receiving end of very
suspicious looks as he cares for our sons. Especially when they were
tiny preemies. He has also been on the receiving end of some pretty
insulting offers to help from women who automatically assume he knows
nothing about childcare because he is a man. He is an amazing Dad and
wonderful with the boys. I recall the day he changed our son Joey's NG
tube for the first time (my husband is an autoparts clerk and a part-time
musician and not real good with medical type stuff, lol). Or when he
went to an infant massage class for special needs kids and sat there
with 10   mothers and juggled our 2 with special needs. He did a great
job but felt the instructor watched every move he made with the boys,
the implication being that he would do something inappropriate.

Kudos to Joy's dad for being there to help her. I think the saleswoman
should have investigated the situation more tactfully and  her comment to
Joy  was absolutely appalling.

Yvonne
Mommy to  triplets:
Robert (NDA), Anthony (PVL, spastic quad CP), and
Our Angel, Joseph {April 14/97-Dec. 31/98} (Cortical atrophy, CP, CVI,
developmental delays, Infantile Spasms, mic-key tube, BPD...)
Ottawa, CANADA