C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 06:58:52 -0500
http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/Selling+artwork+helps+boost+wom
an+morale/4161073/story.html

Selling artwork helps boost woman's morale
 Painting is a healing process for mother of special-needs daughter

 By KATHRYN  GREENAWAY, The Gazette January 25, 2011 3:04 AM Lynn Kerr is an
N.D.G. artist who makes whimsical bookmarks and other artworks. For years,
Kerr painted for her own enjoyment, making her cards just for fun. It was
her family that encouraged her to start marketing her skills.Photograph by:
ALLEN MCINNIS , THE GAZETTE, The GazetteLynn Kerr has been drawing
everything in sight since she was 5 years old.
"When I was little, my dad would be afraid to fall asleep on the couch
because I would draw him," the N.D.G. native said during a recent interview
at her home.
As an adult, her focus narrowed to concentrate on nature-themed scenes. She
paints on cards, bookmarks, mugs, wine glasses and beads -pretty much any
object that captures her fancy and will take to the paint. Her objects are
sold at Carte Etc., on Sherbrooke St. West.
Most of the whimsical paintings feature birds -hummingbirds are her
favourite.
"I don't have a backyard, but my mom was really into gardening when I was
growing up and I would love watching the hummingbirds visit the flowers,"
Kerr said. "Art makes me feel good. It's like therapy. I like to take
something that's plain and make it beautiful."
The 46-year-old has relied on her painting to give her a morale boost most
of her life.
Her 16-year-old daughter, Marianne, has been diagnosed with Asperger's
syndrome -a high-functioning form of autism -and although Kerr herself was
never diagnosed, she suspects she might have been had diagnostic services
been available when she was growing up with her twin sister and five other
siblings in Cowansville in the Eastern Townships.
"I didn't do well in school," Kerr said. "I had a hard time learning and I
wasn't very social, but I always had my art to make me feel better."
Kerr's daughter attends Summit School, housed in Westmount High School. She
is enrolled in a program designed for highly-intelligent students who are
struggling with some sort of learning obstacle.
"She's so smart, it's scary," Kerr said with a laugh. "She's come a long
way. Now she can take the bus by herself which is amazing because that gives
me two extra hours to paint. I'm a lot like my daughter. I understand her."
For years Kerr painted for her own enjoyment, making her cards just for fun.
It was her family who encouraged her to start marketing her skills.
"I have low self esteem, but I thought I'd try to sell some of them because
I thought it might make me feel better about myself," Kerr said. "I don't
know anything about business, but a friend (another N.D.G. native named Ross
Harvey) has helped me a lot with that part."
Harvey designed her web-site and helps her decide on prices. (A greeting
card costs $4, a mug costs $7.95 a bookmark costs $10, a wooden-bead
necklace costs $20 and a wall hanging costs $40.)
Kerr, a stay-at-home mom, doesn't stick to a strict painting schedule, but
with her daughter at school and her husband Robert at work, she settles in
with Harry the cat and paints a couple of hours at least two days a week.
Her favourite painting day is Thursday because that's the day her favourite
folk-music show plays on the radio.
"I love music so much," Kerr said. "I grew up in a household where my dad
played the piano and was passionate about the arts. He made us all sing,
even if we couldn't sing very well. My mom was always doing crafts. I was
surrounded by creative spirits. And now, my art is like a healing process
for me."
For info, www.lynnkerr.ca.Lynn Kerr's painted objects are sold at Carte
Etc., 5901 Sherbrooke St. W., 514-489-2625.
C Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette