C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:28:07 +0000
Beth,

Not yet; the controlling paragraphs in the denial letter read:

"According to Health Plan Policy, the Levo C3 Standing Power wheelchair and
Standing Seat System is not considered medically necessary.It is noted that
the patient's last wheelchair was purchased in 2003.

According to your plan, the definition of medical necessity includes the
following: Health care services and supplies, that a physician, exercising
prudent clinical judgement, provides to a member for the purpose of
preventing, evaluating, diagnosing or treating an Illness or Injury or its
syptoms that are not more costly than an alternative service or sequence of
services; not primarily for the convenience, psychological support
education or vocational training of the Member, physician or other health
care provider; and are clinically appropriate, in terms of type, frequency,
level, extent, site and duration, and considered effective for the Member's
illness, injury or disease."

The next paragraph says that I can request, in writing, "a written
explanation of the criteria and/or clinical judgement used to evaluate the
request," which I have done, but have not received yet.

In the above paragraph, the part about a physician exercising prudent
clinical judgement has been met. "For the purpose of treating,
evaluating..." has been met. "Not more costly" has been met, unless several
of the features that my doctor feels are clinically indicated are
deleted. "Not primarily for the convenience..." has been met. "are
clinically appropriate..." has been met.

If you have the evaluation form in electronic format, I'd love to see it!

Kendall