C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:51:24 -0600
Linda and others,

Here's a link to one history of polygamy within the LDS Church.  It
specifically mentions the polygamist sect in Hilldale UT and Colorado
City, AZ.

http://www.media.utah.edu/UHE/p/POLYGAMY.html

Transcript of an interview with Orrin Hatch discussing polygamy.

http://www.polygamyinfo.com/media%20plyg%2051%20trib.htm

As I read the interview, Senator Hatch is saying the current laws and
Supreme Court decisions regarding polygamy could be overturned on
Constitutional grounds, not that he supports the practice.  The risk of
this are higher, IMHO, with the current conservative bent of the Supreme
Court.

Try as I might, I can not find a single site _sponsored_ by Senator
Hatch where he supports polygamy.

Section from the Utah Constitution specifically forbidding polygamy:

Article XXIV, Section 2.   [Territorial laws continued.]
     All laws of the Territory of Utah now in force, not repugnant to
this Constitution, shall remain in force until they expire by their own
limitations, or are altered or repealed by the Legislature. The act of
the Governor and Legislative Assembly of the Territory of Utah,
entitled, "An Act to punish polygamy and other kindred offenses,"
approved February 4th, A.D. 1892, in so far as the same defines and
imposes penalties for polygamy, is hereby declared to be in force in the
State of Utah.

Linda, the question I asked remains from when you brought this up the
last time:

"Why is it OK to attack a specific faith on the list, but apparently not
OK to say things _in support of_ a specific faith, or to attack other
faiths?"

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950