C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 13:49:56 +1200
Hi Kat,

You survive through bloody-mindedness and learning to "prod buttock".  I went from just needing
help with cooking and cleaning to needing help showering and dressing as well about two years ago.
I kind of suspected the care agency I was with wouldn't be reliable enough to provide me with the
extra level of care, but I was surprised at how blatantly they failed to do their job.  In the last
6 months with that agency I lost 5 days at work because I either didn't get a carer, or I was so
frazzled by an incompetent carer that I wasn't in a fit state too work.  Fortunately, I have a very
tolerant employer.

In the end I had to change agencies, and a year later I have had no time off work through care
related hassles.  If something isn't working they listen to me and make whatever changes are
necessary to fix the problem.  My experiences with the two agencies are total opposites.  So there
are good providers out there.

I have done some serious education and research about my rights since changing agencies, and
introduced myself to the Government funded Health and Disability Consumer Advocacy Service.  They
can assist with some serious "buttock prodding" when dealing with any health or disability service
provider.  It would have been helpful to have known about them when I was having problems, but at
least I know they are there if anything goes wrong in the future.

Unfortunately, you need to learn how to stand up for yourself, or find someone to help.  I am lucky
that my family and friends are there to help advocate for me as well when I need it.

Enjoy the independence while you have it.  And if you need help, make sure you get what is right
for you.
Cheers,

Jeremy

On 3 Aug 2005 at 18:58, Kathy wrote about Re: Kathy Jo Pink's Attendnt Woes (:

> I hate to say this, but you all are making me so glad I can live on my own and
> only need a housecleaner to help me out.  It must be terribly difficult
> having to worry about how you're going to function throughout the day with
> the help of undependable or difficult people.  I don't know how you do it,
> honestly I don't.  From what I've heard, NC doesn't make it easy for disabled
> adults to live at home with round-the-clock assistants.
>
> Kat

Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand
Email: [log in to unmask]

Zaphod: "I'm a pretty dangerous dude when I'm cornered."
Ford: "Oh yeah, you go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel."