C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:05:17 -0600
Mike, Mag, Anthony et al,

De-institutionalization has become the norm in the lives of people with
cognitive/intellectual and other disabilities, at least in Wyoming and
Colorado or at the very least living in group home settings.  The
provider I worked for when I first got out of college (way back in '88)
only had one group home then and that was for people to age 21.  After
that people were transitioned into their own apartments or apartments
with a roommate.  Since it was a college town, people who needed 24/7
care often had roommates who helped provide care who were students and
part-time employees of the agency.

It's important that resources and community supports are in place before
someone moves into the community, and that a mechanism is available to
help out if people's needs change, but when I worked for an ILC, that's
what we saw our mission to be.

Through a concept called "Money Follows the Person," (MFP) people who
are in nursing homes and have it paid for through Medicaid could
potentially use the funds to pay for community services.  Since Medicaid
usually pays between half and two thirds of what private pay does for
nursing home care, that's $2,250.00 to $3,000.00, using the costs for my
grandmother.  That's not to far off what my wife and I bring home in a
month, and we do OK.
I get updates on how states can successfully implement MFP, so if any of
you would like them, I can give you the info on how to get them.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950