C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:49:50 EST
In a message dated 03/02/2000 12:39:54 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< yes we are called on to pray for our leaders. i wrestle with this every
day.
 pray for a leader, while disagreeing with many things he does and not
 condoning immoral behavior.   it is very hard and a fine line to walk.

 now as to jokes about chelsea,  i am totally non tolerate of that. she has
 nothing to do with the actions of her mother and dad. leave the kid alone is
 my theory on that.

I agree with you Ken.  I said that we might have to act on information that
we learn.  I meant that to address removing a person from office if they
prove to be unfit for duty.  This is a general comment for anyone who might
be unfit; I'm not targeting a specific person.

Yes, it is a fine and hard line and I don't want to give the impression that
I think I've got it down to a science.  I try to work on this -- that's all.
I focus on praying for others (leaders included -- that is specifically
mentioned in scripture) and trying to avoid being judgmental.  The operative
word is trying though.  I think this is coming from the experience of falling
hard whenever I think too much of myself.  I have an uncanny knack of getting
smacked down hard and in a humbling way when I get judgmental of others.  I'm
hard core about disability rights, anyone who knows me knows that, but it's
in defense of the next generation, and there are things I won't back down
from.

Human rights seems pretty straightforward to me and so far I haven't felt
remorse for taking a hard-line approach in terms of my expectations of
society.  I may have felt remorse for not handling some situations tactfully,
but I try to learn from those.  I just hate it when people act like we fell
out of a spaceship yesterday (as I am so fond of saying).

I'm prattling on as you know I can do, but I just mean to say that I don't
think I'm perfect at remembering to pray for the President and on down the
chain.

In fact, if I am perfect at anything it's being forgetful.