C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Challenor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:29:26 +1100
Hi Shawn,

I have a son with major CP (simple description, saves me time when
writing).  Kristofer is 10 is attending mainstream school and has just
started grade 5 this year.  He cannot talk and has a lot of trouble with
communication for many reasons.

A number of years ago we stopped feeding Kristofer orally and moved to a
peg and Gtube/button.  However after moving this way he continued to have
problems with aspiration pneumonia.  And the only thing that was still
there to cause a problem was the saliva.  As a result of a number of
trials(failed) and other investigations (including a fundoplication) we
found that it was the saliva.

Therefore we then had a bi-lateral sub mandibular salivery gland excision
and tympanic neurectomy.  In our case we have had fantastic results
(surgery was Dec 1995) and can say that it has not caused him any untoward
results.

Kristofer still has adequate salivery production and occassionally still
dribbles ( usually involved with response to drugs or seizures).

If you need more information, just let me know..

Regards

Jim
>I joined this list because of my daughter who is ten and has fluctuating
>cp.  I have questions for this group and I am hoping you would please be so
>kind as to help me with them.  The first right now is that I am thinking of
>having salivary reduction surgery done for her.  I have always been against
>it before.  But now that I have heard they can change the direction of
>gland and put them down the throat.  I tried robinal with her and it seemed
>to make her pasty and tired.  She is in the fourth grade and I don't think
>the drooling is helping with her social issues.  She speaks and walks with
>a hand held but not by herself.  Any info or opinion you can give me I
>would appreciate.  I am concerned about the pain and recovery but also
>maybe in the long run she would rather not have to deal with the excessive
>saliva anymore either.  It gets on her papers and her hair always has to be
>tied back because it will stick to her chin and all the other reasons.
>thanks so much,
>Shawn

Jim Challenor

e-mail: [log in to unmask]          "Never Give In,
snail:  PO Box 742 Lismore.                  Never Give Up,
        NSW.2480. Australia.                        In The End You Will Win"
Phone:  61 2 66252394                                            "Unknown"
Fax  :  61 2 66252394
Mobile: 0418 669618