C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 15:02:02 -0500
Peter,

I never had massage or even PT as a young child, but have had plenty
as an adult.  I agree with what others have said, you really should
get the massage from someone trained (OT/PT) as part of a physical
therapy session.  That is how it always was done for me.  But, after
I had my hamstrings released at age 28 I did get WEEKLY massages in
my home from a PT Asst. that used to work where I went for PT (as the
asst. to my PT) who was later trained in massage therapy.  That was
the best money I could have spent as he also did some of the manual
stretches that were part of my PT plan as he did the massage.  We
would coordinate my PT sessions so they would be the day after a
massage and we always saw better gains when we did that.  But I am an
adult that knows my body well and what it can and can't do so if
something hurt, or whatever I knew to speak up.  Your daughter may or
may not be awre enough yet to do that.  And as Ken said, they have to
dig deep to get any real benefits....Heck my massage therapist uses
his elbows in my butt just to get it to loosen up....Oh, and $75/hr.
seems steep to me.  I can get a two hour massage with hot stones for
$80 (and remember my guy is a PT Asst. AND massage therapist).

Linda Macaulay