C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:19:58 -0400
I'm the last person to ask that question as I've never had kids (and never
wanted to).  But I have had to battle doubts others have had of me being able
to do things like work, drive, etc.

But you *can* battle the doc and the med records. Under the HIPPA regs (Health
Importability Protection Act), you can officially ask to see your medical
records and the doctor's office or the hospital must provide you with copies.
You can ask that any non-revelent passages be struck or at least you can
comment on them in writing and have it inserted. They don't have to do that,
but you can now battle on the discriminatory basis if it's there in writing
and they refuse to strike it out.  If they refuse, that's when you can
consult a lawyer.

Oh, and they can only charge you for the costs of making the copies of the
records.  So if they say you have to pay more than a reasonable copying fee.
I'd holler (well figuratively, anyway!)  I must say while I understand your
reaction and think you're justified, you might want to approach them in a
calm and polite manner.  Acting out your anger and frustrations in front of
them would only weaken your case.

Let us  know how it all goes, OK?