C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:54:58 -0400
Elaine,
    Welcome to the list! You are quite right, major medical decisions IMHO
should not be left to 7 year olds. Nevertheless, I would urge caution. First
of all any surgeon
who issues ironclad guarantees regarding results, strikes me as  terribly
overconfident, perhaps even arrogant.  Every surgery  involves some risks,
and the more complex the operation, the greater those risks become.
Secondly, there is the issue of your expectations.  You want her to swim and
play hopscotch. Granted, these are enjoyable activities, however the first
should be achievable even in her current condition and the second may not
be, even with surgery.  Learning to walk independently (even with a walker
or crutches) will  probably take quite a while and require a great deal of
effort, and also many of us have significant balance difficulties which make
activities such as hopscotch, gymnastics and skating virtually impossible.
I am NOT saying that the surgery should not be done,  just encouraging you
to focus on the potential improvement in Briana's daily living skills when
making this decision rather than the development of athletic skills. Please
regard these as unexpected presents rather than final goals.

                                           Susan