C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:26:54 -0400
Hello all, I've been on vacation this weekend and am just catching up on my
email.  I'll try to answer this is some logical way that makes sense.
The theory of sensory integration is usually applied to children without
obvious neurological impairment who exhibit signs of hypo-, hyper
somatosensory processing.  For example, children who are unaware or too
aware of touch.
Almost universally, folks with cp have some type of difficulty with sensory
processing and integration of infantile reflexes.  That last one is
important as it's the reason why some children take so long to get diagnosed
with cp in the first place.  Infantile reflexes include (this isn't a total
list) Moro (startle), Asymetric tonic neck reflex (we often describe this as
the fencing position), and symetric tonic reflex (bend arms, legs
straighten, and vis versa).  I mention these three as these seem to be what
I've seen most in folks with cp.
Many people are also hyper (too much) or hypo (not enough) sensitive in many
of their senses including vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell,
proprioceptive, and kinesthetic (sp?).  Most sensory integration theory
(short version- getting all those senses to work together) is based on work
with children with no other neurological impairment.  However, some
occupational therapists have been applying the techniques used in sensory
integration theory and treatment for adults with moderate to severe
developmental disabilities.   (to be continued)

Elizabeth H. Thiers, OTR/L aka Beth the OT

email address: [log in to unmask]