C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:52:05 -0500
>It seems that the aural and visual neural pathways had been somewhat crossed
>when the cerebral insult occurred.  I had no idea I was "different" than
>anyone else until I took a freshman psych course at college and the
>phenomenon was described.  In a nutshell, loud noises present themselves as
>bursts of light--color determined by fequency; bright flashing lights
>produce a not-altogether-unpleasant (usually) percussive sound--I love
>looking at blue and red police lights because they stongly stimulate two
>senses concurrently.
>
>I guess the purpose of this rambling missive is to encourage you to continue
>to expect much possibility from Alex.  Like many others on this list, I too
>was labeled virtually and permanently "vegatative" as a young lad.  I'm glad
>my parents had the courage to persevere.
>
>-Kyle

Kyle,

        In all my studies on CP, I have never before heard of this phenomenon.
You have enlightened me on this. I knew about walking and visual perception
early on, but this aural/visual reversal is the first time I've heard of it.
My wife has no sense of direction whatsoever. I just wrote it off as her
growing up sheltered and living in a world of 2 dimensional books. I, on
the other hand, grew up in San Antonio having a pretty much Huckleberry
Finn existence, since both my parents worked long and odd hours. I would
explore the air base one day
(much to the dismay of the Air Police) and run the river walk another day.
I saw them pull a body of a woman out of the river with multiple stab
wounds. I now have a good sense of direction and a morbid outlook from
being exposed to the adult world probably too soon for a healthy emotional
development. I saw more
in the 6th through the 8th grades than my children saw in their entire life,
discounting TV, of course. These were my "Special Education" years which,
paradoxically, lived up to its billing!!

Bobby