C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberlee Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:28:16 EDT
They are testing him for color recognition using switches and eye gaze.  His
biggest problem is that he gets easily distracted, especially by the other
kids.  I think they should move on to things that he's actually interested in
(such as letters and numbers).  They have no pre-K program in this school
program - it's just a preschool program that is IEP guided.  I wanted them to
put in more academic oriented goals, but I consider it to be minimal, so we
are working on these things at home.  Stefan can't sit/stand or be in one
position for too long or he gets uncomfortable (and then won't perform well
for them).  I've tried to explain this to them, but they don't get it.
Because he's non-verbal, he can't explain to them that his leg is hurting, or
whatever.  I know from his body movements when he's uncomfortable, but they
haven't picked up on all of that.  Because he moves all the time, he also
tires out easily.  What I'm trying to say is that it's not the methods I have
a problem with, it's the other factors in the equation that concern me.

Kimberlee, mom to Stefan (4, CP) and Alex (9)