C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:12:31 EST
Matt:

I believe Joanne was expressing that she would like the best life for her
son. Joanne is a parent that cares for her child and I believe she needs
encouragement and support. We need to give suggestions and criticisms without
insulting and demeaning people. I hope you can apologize to her for your
cruel and cold words. Joanne is not the problem, she is on this List for her
son. All of us are human disabled or not and we all make mistakes. The Nazi
crap you mentioned is horrible and you need to look at your life. Please do
not let anger and bitterness eat you up.

I am a 42 year old man with CP and I accept my disability. I have limitations
but I am always trying to improve myself physically, mentally and
spiritually. I want to be the best person I can be and I will never make my
disability an excuse for not trying to improve. I realize I will not do
everything I want to accomplish and some things may be because of my
disability. I understand when I go out in public some people may treat me
different because I walk a little funny and have a speech defect. When I have
the chance and when it's appropriate I explain to people how I became
disabled and my experiences. I want people to understand that I do have a
brain and I use it. I also realize some people will treat me different and it
will not matter what I say or do. We in the disabled community must always
try to educate society that people with disabilities have dreams, goals
desires, good days and bad days like everyone else. We have limitations but
we must never give up on living the best lives we can

Stephen Allman