C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:01:53 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: February 16, 2011 09:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - February 2011

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/cerebrumHeader.gif>
 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science

February 2011

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>

Dear Cerebrum Reader,
A new article and a new book review have been added to Cerebrum's 2011 Web edition.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,4nrd,1x0m,dlq4,m3a0>
Forecasting Aggression: Toward a New Interdisciplinary Understanding of What Makes Some Troubled Youth Turn Violent <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,4nrd,1x0m,dlq4,m3a0>

By Daniel S. Schechter, M.D.

It takes a series of unfortunate circumstances for an adolescent to turn violent. While early exposure to familial violence can play a role, so too can biological influences such as hormone levels and genetic predispositions. The combination of these factors can be deadly. Although genes and other biological causes are difficult to identify and may be impossible to overcome through known therapeutic methods, medical professionals' intervention techniques can help minimize aggressive behavior related to environmental factors.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,cvx1,8mnt,dlq4,m3a0>
BOOK REVIEW

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/spacer.gif>

The Mind's Eye <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,cvx1,8mnt,dlq4,m3a0>

By Oliver Sacks

Alfred A. Knopf, 2010

Reviewed by Semir Zeki, Ph.D.

In The Mind's Eye, writes reviewer Dr. Semir Zeki, Oliver Sacks describes the visual apparatus of the brain and its vulnerability in lucid prose.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Also in Cerebrum <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0>

We welcome your feedback. Read something you liked? Have an article idea? Send us an e-mail <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  and let us know.

We hope you enjoyed our recent article "How Brains Are Built: Principles of Computational Neuroscience" <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,48tf,1hos,dlq4,m3a0>  by Richard Granger, Ph.D. All 1998-2011 content is available in our Web edition archive <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,5xld,izb3,dlq4,m3a0> .

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Enter Dana's Poetry Contest <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,jrhd,6q0m,dlq4,m3a0>

Send your original brain-related poems to [log in to unmask] by Tuesday, March 15. The winning poems will be published on our blog in April, and authors will receive a copy of Dr. Nancy Andreasen's The Creating Brain <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,4qwp,isgo,dlq4,m3a0> .

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>
 Dana Foundation<http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/foundation-logo_sm.jpg> 	Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
212-223-4040
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/ <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,p8o7,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0>