C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Genia Voitsekhovskaya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:08:13 -0700
Susan Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  susan, i think that the decision about kyle's surgery should be up to his family but thats a good idea.  all we can do right now is let kyle know that we are here for him and pray.

genia
Kyle,
I'm going to risk playing the devil's advocate for a moment. If your
ability to breath or to compen-sate for your spasms truly is at risk, then
fight for the reconstruction by all means. However, if the reconstruction is
not medically necessary,and you can envision a satisfactory future with "one
headlight" as I believe you phrased it yesterday, you might want to
seriously consider going without reconstruction. My mother lived with breast
cancer for 15 years and repeatedly told me that she would have died at least
ten years sooner if she had had reconstructive work done, because the
reconstruction would have masked the second tumor which developed years
after her initial mastectomy. I'm truly sorry to have to bring up the
possibility of recurrence, but it ought to be considered when you are
contemplating your surgical options. Please know that I wish nothing but the
best possible outcome for you and your family and that you will continue to
have my concern and support whichever treatment options you choose