C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 14:23:52 +0100
On Friday 23 May 2008 13:13:49 Cleveland, Kyle E. wrote:
> Most people would realize that a corroded valve is not a good thing on a
> propane tank, but the teenage kid at the corner gas station that refills
> these things may not notice or care.  If he lets the corroded valve take
> a good hit it could turn into quite the rocket.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the info. I realise it is a problem in some areas, however what
initially jerked my chain, was I've got a pet peeve about articles which are
designed to make people worry. It has a significant effect on quality of life
if people read these articles and start to unduly worry about what is a low
risk which can be totally ameliorated by a little common sense.

I received a questionaire yesterday from the Parish Council (the smallest
administrative unit in the UK (Parish/Borough/County/National)) so it just
covers my little village (traditionally a "hundred" (acres)). They receive a
tiny amount of money from the rates - about £29 per house per year (so a good
10% of that budget went on the production of the "questionaire" (a 44 page
booklet!!). Anyway, about 10% of the questions were about how "safe" you feel
in the local environment. Due to media articles which sensationalise
firearms, knife crime, drug violence, gang warfare, etc. etc. I can see the
local council implementing: CCTV on every road, super street lighting,
litter/dog/community wardens, and a host of other unnecessary measures (they
specifically ask for "significant increase" in budget to deal with "problems"
identified by the questionaire). It just seems money should be spent
on "social housing", better recycling  facilities, improved pavements -
rather than illusory safety issues.

Apologies for the rant.

Cheers

Deri