C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 03:00:41 -0400
I erased the post to save space.  (about diseases) but I agree.  it is
amazing what we tolerate.

when I was 15 I had a relationship with a biracial guy who was planning
on studying psychiatry (white/Black) and he opened my eyes about a lot
of things.  including effects of racism and stigma about mental
illness.  OTOH, he did not have 'physical disability' consciousness.
he learned a lot from watching me, and from the reactions I got when I
was in a wheelchair, which he recommended for longer trips to save
energy.

neglecting the health of some citizens is not wise, imo, and it might
come back to haunt us if there is a "superbug" epidemic.  b/c if the
poor, who are living in bad unsanitary conditions too often, start
getting sick with something contagious, there is no barrier that will
protect the middle class and the rich. I  worked in chemical screening
at the environmental protection agency for 9 years.

there are definitely aspects of 'personal responsibility' here, but
children growing up in these conditions have a very difficult time
learning how to responsibly care for themselves and others and earn a
living. I was shocked at what I saw in some neighborhoods.  kids who
never felt safe and obviously never thought they would.  I am aware
there is a lot of suffering and difficult conditions in more well-off
neighborhoods as well, white or minority or mixed-race.  personally, I
think a lot of people feel helpless and don't know what to do.

I also think blaming people is not particularly productive and there is
no point to trying to make white - or well-off - people feel guilty.
since my boyfriend was biracial, he actually "looked white" b/c his
father had "light skin," he had strong feelings about trying to bring
people together and not separate them by labeling one group as "bad."
I agree with this.

Mary Katherine