C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:06:56 -0400
>        The more I see, the less impressed I am with IQ testsinterpret
>
>        1. Few, if any, are standardized on individuals with CP.
 Many individuals with CP
>can't manipulate things because of motor impairments and some can't respond
>verbal items because of impaired communication skills

I'm sure this applies to all indicviduals with physical and/or communication
disabilites.  I'm sure if Stephen Hawkins was tested today his IQ would be
equal to ALexs.

Saying that,the tests aren't all evil, especially with our youngest
children.  The label can help get extra educational services the kid needs.
It also can point to the areas that need improvement or therapy.  The most
important benefit is that it may also be the thing needed to have  an
technology assistance evaluation so that whatever techie tools are needed to
enhance his skills can finally be obtained.
Joanne