C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 10:08:00 -0500
I agree with you Betty. Interestingly on the very subject...I am a potential
bone marrow donor and listed with the bone marrow registry. I get occasional
newsletters/updates. In yesterdays issue it turns out I can also be a stem
cell donor. It sounds like a really simple procedure they give you
injections of a drug 4-6 days prior to the donation to increase the # of
stem cells in your blood. Then you donate blood just like you would a
regular donation. They spin out the stem cells and return the rest of your
blood back to you. The stem cells are then given to the person in need to
jump start their immune system. NO one is injured or maimed and one is
definitely helped. I never heard of this procedure before but it does sound
like fetal tissue donation may not be necessary for future stem cell
research /benefits. I believe this is the type of research the Pope was
asking scientist to pursue.
Joanne