C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 15:41:55 EDT
In a message dated 05/05/2000 1:41:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<        The whole experience gave me an appreciation for other cultures and
 literatures.  I also am sorry for those Americans who think English is the
 only language.

I don't think English is the only language Mariana, but I am responsible to
give your words a "good think."  My first inclination was to defend myself,
and to assert that I was not a cultural bigot.  That knee-jerk reaction is a
surefire sign that I need to examine my thinking.  For me, knee-jerk
reactions have historically been indicators that I was on the wrong thinking
track while trying to pretend that I wasn't.  I hope that isn't the case this
time, but I promise to give it good consideration.

I know only two languages: American Sign Language and an Americanized version
of English.  In fact, I just thought of a lot of funny stuff to say about
American English, but I don't think this is the appropriate post for it.
Perhaps another time.