C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:21:13 -0600
Email is funky so don't know if these are getting through

I never mentioned religion but if you want to know what I think that
would cause a stir. DV does happen in some groups more than others.
JW's are more likely to beat their kids than Episcopalians for
instance. LDS are more likely to commit incest than many other
groups. Brigham Young preached it was of God. Some religions stress
spare the rod and blah blah blah and others stress peace and non
violence towards all living things. Child abuse is the same - the
more tightly wound the religious beleifs - the more violence and
abuse, the more easy going attitude of live and let live and let's
all just get along and meet in heaven and the less abuse and violence.
It has to do partly with the belief system you are born into and
partly with the ones you choose as an adult. The more authoritarian
types choose authoritarian religions with strict ideas. That suits
them. I've never been able to figure out how spanking furthers
anything. And no I am not writing a thesis here I am simply
expressing my ideas and I am not going to look for cites to prove my
points. Anyone else on the list is free to express their ideas and
look for cites if they so choose.
I actually think non religious people are probably less violent
especially if that irreligiousness comes from a well thought out
opinion and not from sheer laziness of not bothering to figure out
what you think.