C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:55:44 EDT
You know, I had a feeling you were going to float somewhere around Boots.

I get stuck on certain kinds of music for long periods of time.  I don't seem
to go back and forth easily.  Right now, I'm becoming reacquainted with
Manhattan Transfer of the 80s.  I saw an MT CD that I recognized (blast from
the past) and couldn't resist.  Their music is just so upbeat!  For a long
time, it was the Gettysburg soundtrack for me, but I stopped when I started
having depression issues to cope with (I'm fine now).  MT is a much better
musical weapon against the dreaded dep.

Soundtracks usually get the best of my attention, perhaps because they evoke
stronger emotions, particularly if I loved the movie.  If you're a "fifties
kind of a guy" than you would no doubt love the music from the soundtrack of
that movie about Richie Valens.  I can't remember the name of the movie, but
the end was when he went down in the same plane that took the mighty Big
Bopper.

My favorite soundtracks are: The Music Man, The Sound of Music, Help, All
That Jazz ("Welcome aboard Air-otica"),  Godspell, The Godfather, Star Wars,
Oklahoma (never saw it though), Love Story, and -- as I have previously
mentioned -- Gettysburg.

I am also a major J.P. Sousa fan.  Major.  The best part of working at the
Washington Navy Yard was getting to go out anytime I wanted ("in the field,"
as it were), and listen to the Navy Band practice in Luetze Park.  What a
thrill for me that was!!!  A lot of people don't like working at the yard
because they say it's dirty and in a bad part of town.  But the history there
-- O my God! They are surrounded by all that rich Navy history and it doesn't
mean a thing to them.  It's a shame, but it sure wasn't lost on me.  So
there.

Trivia Question: What was Brian Epstein's most famous role in music history?

Drivin' ya nuts,
Betty

In a message dated 10/14/2001 10:34:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Betty,
>
>      For me it is a toss up between Boots Randolph or the "Bird". Went to a
>  school as an undergraduate which offered a Master's degree in Jazz. (North
>  Texas) I met 'Doc" Sversen and other national artists and grew to love
>  Brubeck-type jazz. I am really an ol's rock 'n roll, rhythm and blues kind
>  Guy, i.e, Otis Redding's "Sitting on the Dock o the Bay" is the best song
>  ever!
>
>  Bobby

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam