C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:37:51 EST
Hi Trish and all-

I have come to a thought that there are many diffrent dgrees of reasonble and
what is reasnoble for one person might not be resanoble for another.  There
are alsso diffring fields of reason.  For instnce trisha said that she was
never reasonable and that if she had been people like Abmer and myself woud
not be walking...

On the other hand you have to accept your limits when you try and try to
think of ways to overcome the problems I have in math, and you try every
thing and still don't pass or barily you do have to work with that and accept
that that is perhaps a fieild that you should not get into if you can avoid
it so you will not go down.

My problems in math are largly visual...and because my writing is so bad that
usualy dosn;t help things and the adding machines only have so many functions
on them.  But the main problem is visual.  I can get by with basic algebra no
problem.

In geomatry (which is the largest problem...even advanced algebra were you
are dealing with graphs and things) I got the entire book enlarged to 11x17
paper and when ever there were diagrams or you had to reason with shaps I
would draw them out using collored pincles so I could mark each edge with a
diffring color but they would still move all around on me so that looking at
them it looked like they were shifting possision and would make me dizzy.
Even though I would ask the teacher for help and go to tutering practicly
every day they did not understand what the problem was and so wernt that
healpful because they would tell me to do such and such...and for me that
changes all the time.  I could never figrue out which measurement I was spose
to use becasue first the thing would appear to be standing tall and narrow in
a vertical orientation and then it would appea to be short and wide in a more
horizontal orintation so do I use the measures when it is tall and narrow or
short and wide, and some times you have to use the measures in the correct
order to get the proper answer.   This is a problem with all triangles, 3-d
any thing, and 2-d straight lines that  intersecting, even some of the more
coplicated 2-d figures like a polygon with lines dran through them or shapes
drawn inn them (I usualy nuber the points to try and create some refrence but
it's very easy for me to get lost in this).

Unforchnutly I have yet to find a type of therapy or medicine or other remedy
to fix this problem.  Any ideas that I haven;t tried from the "never
reasnoble" person(s) would be appreciated?

:)

Have a great day,
Anee

In a message dated 11/12/1999 3:49:41 PM Central Standard Time,