C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:06:22 EST
In a message dated 4/5/2002 3:49:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> >Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to EEO...
> >
> I love it!!! Down here where MLK Jr. got assassinated this is not funny,
> but
> I am moving to Texas where they have a whole new minority (who, by the way
> are in a majority). Sure wish I had learned more from Salvador Rodriquez
> when
> he was teaching me to cuss in Spanish, actually Tex-Mex..
>
> Bobby

yur goin' down fer shur :-O

I'm getting into NYPD Blue dialects right now.  I had to watch half a friggin
season before I understood what the detectives even meant.  I'm still getting
clarification from reruns, and those guys are all speaking english!

"Sorenson got busted off givin' the skel a tune up."  Translation:  Detective
Sorenson was disciplined because he physically abused the suspect.

A Korean church is renting space in our church right now until they build one
of their own.  I visited one of their services becasue their priest, Fr. Han,
is such a nice person -- very gentle, very kind.  The whole thing was in
Korean, so I just sat there like a bump on a log during the whole service.
For the most part, I knew what was going on since the liturgy is the same,
but I couldn't really participate.

Afterwards, Fr. Han invited me to join them for a "Korean lunch" downstairs.
I accepted, but wondered about things I'd heard from my work partner who had
been stationed there.  Kim chee (sp)?  What was I going to do?  I was going
to eat it, that's what I was going to do.

So I got down there, and it was all american food.  Spaghetti and stuff like
that.  That was my big Korean food experience.  Trust me though, chopsticks
and spaghetti don't even belong in the same sentence, not even in the same
paragraph.

A lot of people in my own congregation are from Liberia, and that's been a
learning experience.  One romp through the internet search engine gave me
quite an education about that country.

Just when I started to go back to that church (I grew up there), somebody
told me that there were a number of Liberians going there.  I misunderstood.
I heard him, but I thought he meant Librarians.  I knew his alma mater was
Harvard, so that pretty much made my brain explode.