C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
joan m wallyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:21:14 -0500
Hi All -- I'm not sure who started this conversation, but I feel
compelled
to speak up. I think I have "mild CP" (of course I hadn't realized a LOT
of things until I joined this list). I've had surgeries: was in a
wheelchair,
had crutches and then walked independently around age 18 after the
last surgery on my knee. In my childhood, I was treated cruelly by some,
compassionately by others. I went to public schools (when I attended)
and was a Brownie and Girl Scout.

Some of the activities listed here may or may not be possible.
But what is possible is the development of supportive relationships
with peers that would allow some of these to be accomplished.
The reality is that NOONE is totally independent in life, physically or
emotionally, regardless of capability.

In deciding about surgeries, please keep this in mind.
I do physical therapy daily (I'm sure a lot of us do).
There are things that I will not do and some I can not do.
In most respects I am quite "normal", except appearance and
"fighting spirit". I'll take the fighting spirit any day - and that is
directly attributable to my experiences and opportunities.

God Bless my father, for the surgeries and the courage to let me grow up.

JMW