C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:04:36 -0400
I grew up in Temperance MI in Monroe Co. and spent a lot of time at the U of
M physical medicine clinic in the care of Dr. William Keopke.  I guess he
still consults one day a week at Medical College of Ohio in Toledo.

I guess I'm showing my age again, but things were different there 30 years
ago.  I was one of the first kids to use the C.S. Mott Children's wing--in
fact, I was the first kid in the U.S. to have a Z-plasty used for achilles
lengthening..  Vietnam was going strong and there were a lot of young
"hippie" orthopedists and peds that really cared.  They were all residents
then, of course, and hadn't yet got the scent of $$$ up their noses (Lord
know what else went up there, though).  I owe a lot to those folks.

The idea of "doc as demigod" is changing a bit.  I think the Internet has
opened a trove of knowledge to people.  Information, as they say, is power
(indeed!).  I can remember how I flabbergasted some of the older clinic docs
when I'd come to an appointment with a Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics
tucked under my 12 year-old arm.  Some were amused, some were amazed, some
were incensed.  I use a simple test to see if the physician and I are going
to be compatable out of the gate...If he/she addresses me as "Mr.
Cleveland", I'll us the title "Dr.".   If he/she addresses me as "Kyle",
I'll respond with their first name.  Any sign of umbrage of their part--I'm
gone.

I really wonder about the people who entrust their kids' (or their own, for
that matter) well-being to physicians without question.  Doc doesn't always
know best.

Sounds like you're very proactive with Alex's care.  That's great!  You'll
find this list a great place for info and support.

-Kyle