C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 06:47:42 -0400
A remarkable woman

-----Original Message-----
From: Salkin Kathleen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 7:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Can't stand it anymore....

Sorry about all this, Ken.

On a similar note, I went to a memorial service Sunday for an elderly friend
of mine who'd died this past May (they had held the service so late to
accommodate several relatives who had to come in from abroad).  She was 94,
a German Jew who'd got a law degree but couldn't practice law because the
Nazis didn't allow Jews to practice law.  So she went to Spain and took part
in the Spanish Civil War.  After the war was over in Europe (WWII), she
married a fellow German Jew and emigrated to the US.  Divorced her first
husband and married a second time in 1953.  He died about  10 years ago and
had a relationship with an old friend in Spain. What a woman! When I met
her, she was 88 or so and was only 4'8" but you could tell she had a
forceful personality and the convictions of her beliefs.  She was always
saying, "Humanity can be cruel, yes, but we can forgive."  What a woman!

Kat