C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:39:22 EDT
After reading some of the discussion on this list, I thought I would share my
letter to my daughter's teachers concerning her IEP..It was a nightmare due
to a lack time & the fact that her Asperger's syndrome hadn't been diagnosed
yet. I have to admit I was proud of it & did get their attention. Anyone
who's dealt with an IEP can appreciate it.Feel free to share your own
experiences.

Thanks,
Karen
February 23,2000

    Since the time was much shorter than what is usually accorded an IEP
yesterday, I wanted to express some thoughts that I didn't have the
opportunity to concerning the reevaluation. Way back in 1990, at her intake
evaluation, I was told that some people observing Erica at the time would say
that she is autistic but, that she isn't because she is so "into everybody
else's business". I believe it was Ann Schultz who told me this. About 3
years later I was told by Karen Walsh of Special School District that ALL OF
US have some degree of autistic tendencies. She was not speaking of Erica
but, having an autistic son I am aware of behaviors. I believe she is correct.

    I was wondering why we were not given a parent input form to fill out
prior to the IEP ? It always helps me to gather my thoughts for the meeting.
If that practice has been discontinued please let me know. I would like to
let the chain of command at SSD know my feelings on the matter. I always feel
more like a participant in the process then. It doesn't seem one sided or
quite as negative if this is included.

    I'm sorry that due to circumstances beyond our control we were unable to
attend either of the conferences. I would have appreciated being informed of
these behavioral concerns before now though. I felt kind of blindsided
yesterday. I have talked to her about some of them. I think that with
reinforcement everyday some of them will diminish or disappear. Some of her
"paranoia" could be attributed to the problems she has had with Sarah Simpson
during 5th & 6th grade. Sherry Stryhal can give you details on last year if
you like. I would strongly suggest consulting Beth Mee & Alan Smith about
this.They seem to have been successful in the past with her. Sherry Stryhal
should be helpful in getting Erica to understand that most of this "talking
about her" isn't really happening. We are willing to do anything we can to
help but, we can't be a part of the solution if we're not kept abreast of the
problem.

    Thank you for your attention.
                                        Sincerely,

                                        Karen Perlow