C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 00:25:58 +0100
On Tuesday 02 Apr 2002 2:21 am, Cleveland, Kyle E. wrote:
>  Hey, y'all!  We're here in sunny EFF ELL AYY!  Burned to a crisp
> already. Had a twenty mile backup on I-75 @ Valdosta Ga. :>(
>
> Thanks for setting me nomail, Ken, although some stuff is still
> trickling through (not dozens of msgs/day, though).
>
> Freezing rain and 31 when we left Ohio, 87 in Punta Gorda today.  I
> could get used to this right quick!  Fished w/Dad today, caught
> zip, but two dolphin rode our bow wave.  Too cool!
>
> Laura got me with an April Fool's joke by faking a call from our
> builder that a frozen tree had fallen through the roof, leaving a
> gaping hole with rain pouring through.  She WILL pay!
>
> Take care!
>
> K.

My all time favourite April Fools joke was on a young chap at work.
Several years ago when this young chap was a bit of a yuppy he was
one of the first people to get a mobile phone (you know when they
looked like you had a brick under your arm). He also fancied himself
as a bit of  a "lead guitarist", so when some dodgy geezer offered
him this mobile phone "which used to belong to Keith Richard of the
Rolling Stones" he parted with wads of cash to buy it.

Such was the story he told everyone when he gave everyone his new
mobile number. While chatting with a few mates at the coffee machine,
and particularly since it was  April 1st, we realised there was a
golden opportunity here. The morning news had included the news that
the lead guitarist of (I think it was) Status Quo was ill and
wouldn't be able to make it to a Wembley Concert that night.

We made a series of calls to his mobile initially trying to get hold
of Keith Richard, and posing as one of the management team from
Status Quo, trying to find a replacement lead guitarist. During each
call it was emphasised that he should not breathe anything about this
to anyone in case the press got hold of it, but he kept bragging to
everyone, so we reckoned he was fair game. Gradually we got to the
point where he thought he was going to go on stage that night (we
told him he just had to mime since the actual track was taped), and
he was walking around practising "air guitar". By then the whole firm
was "in" on what was going on and we were getting a running
commentary from everyone he confided in, no work was getting done at
all. People were walking around with tears running down their face
trying not to laugh. We had to put a stop to it eventually because he
was trying to buy 30 tickets for the concert for his family and
friends. He took it stoically (saying he hadn't really been taken
in), so about 40 of us took him up the West End that night and made
him feel like a prince.

Cheers

Deri