C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:04:23 +0000
Nicole,

My brother and I fought horribly from the time we were about 7 and 8 until
we were 16 and 17. John's 51 weeks older than I am, and so there was a lot
of sibling rivalry. A lot of what happened in our case was that I stole a
lot of attention from him at that time, as I had significant health issues
then. I wouldn't be surprised that that's what your older son is feeling
about his little brother. Did the abusive behavior start around the same
time (or shortly after) his seizures were better controlled? If so, I'd bet
that you were able to devote more attention to your younger son, and the
older boy might have felt left out.

Is there some one else who can be with your older son while you pay
attention to your younger son so your older boy doesn't feel left out? If
the boys father(s) are around, that might be helpful. My dad took John and
spent time with him, and that helped a lot.

Kendall