C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:29:13 EDT
I've been thinking about that for the past couple of months Joanne.  I don't
want anyone sitting on a board decided my future to say "well, she's disabled
so let's pull the plug.  She wouldn't want to live anyway."  I do want to
live.

In a message dated 04/17/2001 12:42:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Sounds like it's time to take legal action for yourself, Betty. Not a bad
>  idea for any of us as a matter of fact. You need to set up directive that
>  spells out what you want or don't want should you be unable to speak for
>  yourself. Think really careful with this. Is a feeding tube Ok? How about a
>  vent. How long would you tolerate these artificial aids to life. What is
>  life worth living for you and what wouldn't be. I always thought a feeding
>  tube was a horrible thing for a person to endure. Then Alex got one and he
>  began to thrive and not just survive. My attitude changed there from
>  experience. Then talk, talk,talk to everyone about your wishes. Tell your
>  doctors and have it entered into your medical records. Tell your closest
>  friends and family. WRITE IT DOWN and have it notarized.Make sure theirs
>  know where that piece of paper can be found. Have a lawyer write up an
>  advance directive.You can take control but it has to be now and not when a
>  crisis is at hand and people are left guessing about your wishes.
>  Joanne

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
"I will either find a way or make one."