C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
YVONNE SINGER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 09:27:49 -0400
Hello, I am YVONNE SINGER and I have Cerebral Palsy. Click on
http://home.att.net/~ysinger/. At the moment, I am in the process of
earning a MS Degree in organizational psychology from Walden "on-line"
University, http://www.waldenu.edu/. Having this degree will enable me
to become an http://home.att.net/~ysinger/pg.htm on-line consultant for
physically disabled young adults. I need to write a research proposal
concerning job-related attitudes among people with disabilities and
employers.

Designing web pages and attempting to learn how to program in Java,
during my spare time, has been challenging as well as fun.  During the
summer of 1998, I enjoyed designing and editing web pages for
http://www.merck.com/!!rhfdQ20r4rhfdQ20r4/ Merck, which  expanded my
horizons and helped me to pay for school.   How did I obtain this
temporary, part-time job?  Since my father worked for Merck, he was able
to put some strings.  I worked from home.  Although my job performance
was outstanding, my employers poorly communicated with me through e-mail
and the telephone.  If I had a choice, I would have preferred to work in
the office where I could have had direct communications with my bosses.

Currently, I am continuing to look for part-time employment. Since my
physical mobility is severely limited, I have been submitting
http://home.att.net/~ysinger/res.htm my  resume to
http://www.psyccareers.com/Asecured/index.cfm PsycCareers,
http://www.help-wanted.net/ Help-Wanted,
http://www.abletowork.org/ Able To Work,
http://jobaccess.careermosaic.com/ Jobaccess,
http://www.resumeblaster.com/ Resume Blaster,
http://www.monster.com/ Monster,
http://www.tjobs.com/ Telecommuting Jobs,
http://www.careermosaic.com/ Career Mosaic,
http://www.careerpath.com/ Career Path,
http://www.careermart.com/ Career Mart,
http://www.careermag.com/ Career Mag,
http://www.classifiedwarehouse.com/greatermedia/ Classified Warehouse,
http://www.careerfile.com/ Career File,
http://www.jobbankusa.com/jobs.html JobBank USA,
http://careers.wsj.com/ Careers - Wall Street Journal,
http://www.hotjobs.com/">Hot Jobs,
and http://www.studentcentral.com/ Student Central.
In addition, I have been snail mailing over one hundred resumes to
various places such as http://www.spannj.org/ Northern NJ's  Services,
http://www.johnsonandjohnson.com/home.html Johnson & Johnson,
http://www.njil.org/ctr-mcil.htm MOCEANS,
http://www.cast.org/ CAST,
http://www.modimes.org/ March of Dimes,
http://www.clericalplus.com Clerical Plus,
http://www.brfx.com/diversified Diversified,
http://www.nod.org NOD,
http://www.montclairymca.org/ YMCA,
http://www.harvard.edu/ Harvard University,
http://www.brookdale.cc.nj.us/ Brookdale Community College,
http://www.berkeley.edu/ Berkeley University,
http://www.ramapo.edu/ Ramapo College,
http://www.njit.edu/ NJIT,
http://www.stanford.edu/ Stanford University,
http://www.yale.edu/ Yale University,
http://www.middlesex.cc.nj.us/ Middlesex College,
http://www.colgate.edu/ Colgate University,
http://www.shu.edu/ Seton Hall University,
http://internet-plaza.net/lupus/ Lupus,
http://www.edinboro.edu/ Edinboro University,
http://www.orst.edu/ Oregon State University,
http://www.uwburlington.org/ United Way, and
http://www.ldonline.org/finding_help/local_org/njersey.html NJ's
Resources. So far, nobody is willing to offer me a paying or a volunteer
job, which is extremely frustrating!!! For example, United Cerebral
Palsy of New Jersey was going to interview me for a web designer
position. The gentleman, who should have interviewed me, rescheduled the
interview for a later date. A few days later, he canceled the interview
and promised to reschedule.  After one month, he never contacted me.
So, I tried contacting him. He never answered my phone or email
messages.

The physically handicapped population continues to have troubles
obtaining employment due to societal discrimination.  Many people, with
severe physical disabilities, do not have the educational, social, and
economical opportunities due to from not being mainstreamed in their
communities.  Those, who are mainstreamed in their communities, still
cannot seek jobs.  The American Disability Act should be able to make it
easier for disabled to obtain jobs.  However, this law is not enforced,
and some employers and employees abuse  it.

During my undergraduate studies held at Monmouth University, I composed
a thesis regarding physically disabled young adults’ emotional states.
One of my survey questions was "Are you presently employed?" Most of the
participants said they were working part and full-time jobs.  This was
surprising because my literature review stated  that the majority of
disabled people are unemployed.  Since I had problems electronically
collecting data, my results conflicted with my literature review.

QUESTIONS ARE TO BE E-MAILED TO [log in to unmask] .

How can I make participants feel comfortable enough to confide in me?

Why do you think that participants would lie about their employment
status?

Some disabled people are employed.  When I asked them how did they gain
employment, they never answered me. Why?

Why do you think that disabled people are so reluctant to verbally
express their opinions and feelings?

Thank you for your time and cooperation.  It’s greatly appreciated!  If
you have any questions or comments, email me at [log in to unmask]
to talk more.