C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 21:05:21 -0400
LIVE FROM EAST TENNESSEE!

We're "sharing" an AirCard in 2/231 MP BN HQ staff, so I'm zipping off as many emails as I can before the Colonel wants his modem back.

Kendall-

I have no illusions about the bison "hunt".  Yeah, it's drive out in the truck, pick out the one you want (the youngest bull I can find--I am not interested in "trophies" or putting a head on the wall) and putting a bullet in it.  This is simply a way to get decent, antibiotic-free meat (Laura's immuno-compromised system means we have to be really careful about the beef/chicken she can east) as cheaply as possible.  I''m a hunter and this is not hunting--it's shooting.  Slightly more honest than picking it up at the supermarket as I have to gut, skin and quarter it myself (it's the least expensive way I can go).  Hunting, at least in the crowd I run with, is all about managing the herd and respecting the animals you harvest.  Kill it quickly and as painlessly as possible, follow a wounded animal how ever long it takes--no matter how uncomfortable the conditions, and, finally, eat what you kill.  If you just want a head for the mantle, go buy one at a garage sale

I saw "Bless the Beasts" in 8th grade, though I don't recall much about it other than our English teacher getting mad at the boys because we were giggling over the maturbation scene.  I've read the reviews from IMDb (thanks for the link).  I think the girls probably "got it" more (the angst) than we did.

Peter. I have email access, but not web browsing (we only have about ten sites we can visit--like the National Hurricane Ctr.  Everything else is blocked, so I'll have to ask for your patience and wait for an "educated" response on my end.  I don't want to spout stats I can't back up without sources.

Gustav was a relative whimper, but we're being told we won't stand down until at least Josephine passes.  The young guys and gals are having push-up contests--I'm not in that group.  My group of old farts is doing paperwork and watching movies.  Some of the younger soldiers brought unauthorized naughty movies, but they can only watch them on their own laptops.  I'm looking forward to sitting down to a hot MRE and "No Country For Old Men".  I am absolutely overjoyed to report that my troops scrounged a cot and air mattress for me.  They'll be sleeping on the floor or on top of cafeteria tables.  I am just amazed at the personal sacrifice these kids are willing to make.  They make sure the Chief has a comfy bed after they've spent 12 hours filling sandbags and stacking cases of bottled water--both are supposed to be headed somewhere near Jacksonville, I think.

If any of you are wondering what you can do to help folks prepare, I would ask you to either donate blood or cash to the American Red Cross.  They have the infrastructure in place to get fast help to those that will need it the most.  I've also been told that any blood type can be used for trauma care.  Whole blood is generally used locally, but blood products (like plasma) can be shipped anywhere and is critical in preventing hypovolemic shock.  We're supposed to have a news crew from one of the local TV stations interview us for the 10:00 news.  If that happens and they put my ugly mug on the tube i'll send y'all a link (they've probably got a website).

It's 9:00 and I gotta give up the aircard.  Everyone stay safe.

Kyle