C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:52:35 EDT
Hello all,

My name is Betty Alfred, I'm in Alexandria Virginia, USA, and I subscribed to
the list because I have a nature program for children with disabilities, and
an interest in advocacy for children with disabilities.  I have peripheral
neuropathy (that's what they're calling it right now), and also very mild
spasticity problems which is the closest I come to CP. I don't have CP
though; this developed with the rest of my condition.  I use a wheelchair or
crutches, and my cockatiel, Astro, doesn't care about any of this and will be
quick to tell you that I exist only to function as her personal servant.

About Peter Singer...it does us no harm, I believe, to be alert regarding his
activities, and it may be important to do so.  It would appear that he has
significantly broadened his scope of influence with this position at
Princeton.  I'm concerned about the power he now wields in the bioethics
community and academic circles in general.

I also fear that Dr. Singer's permanent faculty membership at Princeton is
the tip of the iceberg.  There are bioethicists who do not subscribe to his
genocidal views with any level of acceptance.  The Center for Bioethics and
Human Dignity is one home for this quarter.  From what I've been reading
though, I'm led to believe that these people are in the minority.  I prefer
to be wrong on this score, especially since I seem to live in a society that
does not understand the ramifications of such things as physician assisted
suicide.  This is nothing more than anecdotal data, but I've spoken with too
many people who think this is a needed and helpful service, but who do not
want to hear about our issues.  By first judgment, it appears to be
inconvenient for them to think about issues because these thoughts don't make
them feel good.

It was just two weeks ago that a woman asked me if I didn't think that some
severely disabled people were burdens to society.  I reminded her that they
are society, and that it is actually lazy people who are burdens.

At any rate, this current combination appears to be a lovely foundation for a
formal eugenics program somewhere down the road.  I hope I am wrong, but I
don't recommend dismissing Peter Singer, or his school of thought -- or his
school -- as being inconsequential.  The fifth annual international bioethics
conference (not sure of the complete name) will be held in England during the
fall of 2000.  I'd like to be a fly on the wall of that little get-together.

Take care and thanks for having me on the list.

Betty Alfred