C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:48:20 -0500
Bobby,

That may have been a statistical anomaly.  Nevertheless, it's still sad.  My
uncle had a cancerous tumor in his right temporal and frontal lobes.  His
cancer, though terminal, did not cause his death.  The poor man off'd
himself because the physical agony was too great.

The older cell phones that looked like a WWII walkie talkie had a greater
power output than the newer "flip phones".  Could there be a causal
relationship?  Maybe, but the radiation exposure experienced by those of us
staring all day at a CRT from 18" is greater than what would be experienced
by cell phone usage.

Methinks that the media (particularly TV news shoes in the vein of 20/20,
Dateline, etc.) tend to latch on to coincidental stories that have little
statistical fiber.

About the fireman's demo.  Neat (but stupid) trick, eh?  In high school I
worked at a gas station where the manager's favorite practical joke was to
show a new employee where the underground tank fillers were located, then
throw a lighted match down the opening.  He always made sure that the tank
had just been filled, so there would be no vapor to contend with.  Even so,
I sure soiled my britches on that first day of work!

The deal is that there has to be enough free oxygen to ignite the
propellant--and there has to be enough propellant to oxidize.

Oddly enough, it is far more dangerous to smoke in/around a dry grain
elevator than a gas station.

Physics ain't just interestin'----it's the law!

-Kyle