C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 07:32:15 -0400
good reply susan, i agree.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Moskowitz [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 12:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Please

Kim,=20

    I'm sorry to hear that you are already being hassled. It seems to me =
that you really have two seperate problems: a schoolmate who is =
harrassing you and a principal who wants to avoid his responibility to =
handle the situation.  It is his responsibility to protect you (and =
every other student in the school from peer harrassment ) and his =
responsibility to establish and enforce the school's disciplinary =
procedures.  Leaving the decision about what should be done up to you =
merely gives him an easy way to avoid these unpleasant aspects of his =
job.  (If you insist that action be taken and the kid or his parents =
object, the principal will be able to say that the action is only being =
taken because you demanded it.  If you take a wait and see attitude and =
the harrassment continues, he will be able to claim that you rejected =
his efforts to resolve the problem. My advice is, don't let the =
principal get away with this.  Tell him that you will rely on his =
professsional judgement as to how this incident should be handled. That =
way, the principal will have to make the decision and handle =
theconsequences.  That, after all, is his job.

                                Susan   =20