C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:49:21 -0500
I agree with Mag - do meditation.  It's helped keep my blood pressure
down, and medical research has verified its efficacy in lowering
blood pressure.  If you don't believe me or Mag, look for a book
called "The Relaxation Response" by Dr. Herbert Benson, a
cardiologist at Harvard University Medical School published in 1975.
He's also written other books about faith and its affect on your
health, which might be of interest - I believe he sees prayer as a
form of meditation which makes sense.

Another cool thing about meditation is, when you have it down to a
point where you can do it easily, you can do it anywhere.  For
example, if you're stuck in a doctor's office, say, or in stalled
traffic, don't get frustrated - meditate!  (and you don't have to
even lie down or sit on the floor - you can seemingly stare at a
magazine at meditate. ;) ).

If emptying your mind doesn't work, try one of these:

1) Close your eyes and visualise the "third eye", that is, a "spot"
your brain can focus on while you keep your eyes closed.

2) Visualise the most peaceful or happiest scene you can imagine and
focus on that.

I can't sit on the floor or lie on a recliner so I do a method a
Buddhist friend of mine once taught me, called "sitting meditation":

        A. Sit comfortably in a chair, feet flat on the floor and your spine
straight (this usually calls for a      chair with an upright back, not a
easy chair).
        B. Close your eyelids enough so you can focus on a point on the
floor just beyond your feet.
        C. Keep your hands on your lap or the arms of the chair.  The point
is, just keep them as still as
        possible.
        D. Focusing on the point on the floor use visualisation as you
meditate.

Sitting meditation works for me because I don't have to get out of my
wheelchair to do it.

Kat