C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:42:43 -0400
I didn't get to see the story on tv, but what I saw on the website you
posted was pretty awesome.  Although I am only temporarily
semi-wheelchair bound due to having both of my hamstrings lengthened, I
can sympathize with everyone who does use a wheelchair all of the time.
Hope it does get FDA approval for everyone who could have a whole
different perspective on life with it!

BTW, for those who knew I was having the hamstring surgery...Surgery on
the 24th went well, was home within 17 hours after surgery (stupid
insurance!).  At first it was a bit rough, but by Sunday I was pretty
pain free and able to do transfers from wheelchair to stand/walk with a
walker almost by myself.

When my roommate returned from visiting her parents on Sunday night and
didn't even look at me directly or touch me (no hug?), I decided right
then and there that the PT and OTs goals were going to get me to do
EVERYTHING independently and by Monday evening I could do all the
transfers alone, bathe and bathroom independently.  After one more visit
by the OT and a purchase of a grabber/reacher claw thing, I can now get
dressed.  Small miracles since I thought I would be pretty dependent on
people for the next few weeks.  The only thing roomie needs to do now is
put my cast boots on in the AM (but I have learned to walk on the casts
without them, just in case!) and put a wedge behind my back at night so
I can sleep on my side.

I am rambling now, I know, but I guess her whole lack of
caring/assistance really has me hurt and POed.  She's at least looking
at me and talking normally to me now, but she still doesn't really touch
me.  Makes me want to tell her to get out of this apt. and never come
back.  I lived here first and her name was just added to the lease.  But
so far I am only making little comments here and there and trying to be
nice.  When I am recovered (and maybe before) I will tell her how she
basically has ruined my opinion of her by her actions.  There's even
more, but I've complained enough.  (Especially since this post was just
supposed to be about a wheelchair!)

Linda