C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 23:13:24 EDT
Hello everybody,

I've got a problem. Here's the scenario.  My PCA & I go out, and she flirts
with any man who even glances her way.  It's annoying. Today, we were on a
walk home, and there is this male postal worker in shorts. she goes up to him
and says something like "ooh, nice legs!"  I could not believe it. I was so
embarrassed. I told her not to do that when she is with me, and now she is
mad at me. The point is that when she is with me, she is an assistive person,
and when she flirts -- which she says is her way of being friendly that she
is not representing my interests. She has in the past teased MY doctors about
their eyes or hair, and I've asked her not to do that. Yet she still managed
to say something last time I was in the doc's office.  she may have a starved
ego, and may need the attention, but I maintain that it's not her place to
have her ego stoked while she's on the job. I told her it borders on sexual
harassment, and she doesn't see it at all. Then she wonders why men are
constantly all over her when we are out together. They want her number, and
don't even see I'm there. I've termed it the "guide dog syndrome" in that
when blind people walk their dogs, people pay attention to the dog, not the
person handling it. This has never happened with my other assistants... So
guys, any advice or opinions, how do I handle this? Gary?  Nick are you here
yet?