C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:42:38 EST
Astro was high spirited and feisty.  Her vet said that was a "hen thing."
She and my cat Jubal worked out a fairly tolerable and peaceable arrangement.
 They coexisted well, but Astro was a bit of an antagonist in that
relationship.  Jubal put up with it, bless his little heart.

I can't tell you how many times Jubal would be on my lap with Astro on my
chest next to him.  When Jubal was asleep, Astro would get as near as he
could to Jubal and preen his fur.  That was an adorable sight to behold.  I
was on hand to intervene if necessary, but I don't recall ever having to.

At one point I downloaded several songs and various bird calls.  Astro would
sit on my shoulder from time to time when I was working on the computer, and
I would play all that stuff for her.  She also loved the beeps and various
noises that my computer made.  I have an alto recorder, and just for fun I
play accompaniments to some of the classical music I've downloaded.  My
favorite is Canon in D, by Pachabel, and Astro always took an interest in
this activity.  She was a little intimidated by the recorder though, so she
would stay a little behind the back of my shoulder when I played it.  She was
very intimidated by my guitar.  She never got over that.  I guess it was just
too big for her.

My Mom used a manual typewriter and she loved that too.  She always wanted to
hang out with my Mom when she was typing.

Mom jammed on that typewriter.  I have tried to used it myself, but I'm so
accustomed to a computer keyboard that it seems like the hardest thing in the
world to do.  This is off the subject, but I was always impressed by her
speed and accuracy on that old relic.

Back to Buster though.  I'm sure he would make an impression on your kitty in
an altercation, but word to the wise dear Paige...even a minor cat scratch
could lead to an infection with dire consequences for Buster.

I've heard of a number of good cat/bird friendships though.  Jubal and Astro
certainly seemed to have one.

Betty