C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 16:37:31 EDT
I haven't checked this out at all.  I'm just assuming that the places where I
want to go will be out of bounds.  I'm thinking about rainforest/deep
woods/places like that.  There are also safety issues to consider.  I've
heard about kidnapping problems in S. America.  Here, I am more or less
financial riffraff.  But in S. America, a tourist with birding optics is
rich.  I am disgustingly rich too, compared to the way some people in S.
America live.  I'm easy prey for a couple of reasons; I'm in the "duh mode"
about protecting myself from potential kidnapping situations, and I am not
physically able to defend myself.

I know of four birders who were kidnapped down there a couple of years ago
and held for a couple of months -- I can't remember exactly how long.  One
finally escaped and got help for all of them.  They all had advanced warning
from the State dept. about not traveling at that particular time, but planing
an adventure like that is not exactly something you can decide to do next
month instead of this month.  It's just not possible.

But, no, I haven't investigated the feasibility of disability access.  No
matter what though, one day I am going.  I have to do this before I die.
Peru is supposed to be the birding capital of the world, and I just have to
do this one day.  It's also an adapt and overcome thing.  I was going to do
this before the disability.

In a message dated 05/04/2000 3:58:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,