C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 12:18:27 -0600
Linda,

Mag's right!  The people at TLG are great!  My wife and I worked with
them a couple of years ago when we were trying to start a family, and
they were wonderful.  We worked with Christi Tuleja and Judi Rogers, and
Janet (my wife) co-presented with them at a conference.  Judi wrote a
book that was wonderful.

Mother to Be: A Guide to Pregnancy and Birth for Women with Disabilities

Judith Rogers and Maureen Matsumura
(Demos Press, 1991) [278 pages]
$34 (includes shipping)

                                Birth is one of the greatest events in
life. Co-written by TLG staff member Judi Rogers, an occupational
therapist and mother with a disability, this book affirms that every
woman, able-bodied or with a disability, has a right to knowledge of her
body and its biological capacity. Every woman has the right to weigh the
consequences of childbearing and to decide on her own risk-taking
capabilities. "The pregnancy of a woman with disabilities is often a new
experience for everyone involved, and no one can anticipate every
possibility. Sensitivity must be supplemented by education. Most often
patients expect medical personnel to be knowledgeable; expertise is a
basis for trust, and an admission of ignorance can be unsettling, to say
the least. But women with disabilities are well aware that their
problems are the subject of specialized training, and they are most
likely to be reassured by a willingness to listen and learn."

TLG's web address is http://lookingglass.org/index.php, and you can find
lots of really useful info there.

Janet and I weren't successful in becoming parents ourselves, so we
can't give you any been there, done that advice but we're pulling for
you all the way!  We're still exploring adoption, but got mistaken as
the grandparents of some friends kids over the weekend, so I'm not
really too keen on being seen as our kids great-grandparents at his or
her high school graduation.

;-{)

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities - WIND
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 4298
Laramie, WY  82070